Literature Reviews 2, 3, and 4

Literature Reviews 2, 3, and 4 
(1) Visual. A picture of the book or (only if such a picture is not available or if it is an article) a relevant picture, such as a photo of the author or something related to the subject. An embedded video (such as of an author interview) can also fulfill this requirement. Feel free to have multiple images if they are useful.
(2) Citation. Provide full citation in MLA format.
(3) Summary. Provide a brief summary of the author’s argument or the information the reading presents.
(4) Author(s). Give some information on the author(s). What makes him/her/them knowledgeable on the topic?
(5) Key terms. Define at least two key terms or key concepts used in the piece.
(6) Three Quotes. Give three quotations pertaining to your topic, with page reference.
(7) Value. Explicitly explain how this material helps you to explore your research question

Review 2: I was raised by Tiger Mom--and it worked

  • Visual: Lulu, Amy Chua's daughter at Harvard University 
  • Citation: Lewak, Doree. “I Was Raised by Tiger Mom - and It Worked.” New York Post, New York Post, 29 Mar. 2018, nypost.com/2018/03/28/i-was-raised-by-tiger-mom-and-it-worked/.
  • Summary: The article talks about Lulu Chua-Rubenfeld, who was a 22-year-old Harvard senior with a 3.9 GPA. She states that having Amy Chua as a tiger mom was just as intense as the book made it seem and fights with her mom but stays on course to eventually get into Harvard. She states that her tiger mom helped her through 
  • Author: Doree Lewak 
  • Key Concepts: 
    • Tiger parenting can lead to well-adjusted kids like Lulu because she believed that her confidence was earned
    • Instead of feeling like she isn't close to her mom, she actually asks her mom to tell her when she needs to get it together
  • Quotes: 
    • "'She was very stern with me,' recalls Lulu. “She said, ‘Pull yourself together because you know you can do this. Get off the bathroom floor and start writing.’ Lulu wound up getting an A on the paper and in the class."
    • “People assume that tiger parenting would beget low self-esteem because there isn’t that constant praise, but I think I’m exiting with a lot more confidence than some others because my confidence is earned,” she says. “[My mom] gave me the tools to drive my own confidence.”
    • In the book, she famously erupted during a family trip to Russia. Smashing a glass at a cafe, she bellowed: “I’m not what you want — I’m not Chinese! I don’t want to be Chinese. Why can’t you get that through your head? I hate the violin. I hate my life. I hate you, and I hate this family!”
    • “I really was a great violinist,” she adds. “At Harvard, I’m not the best of anything — everybody’s a genius here — but I never have impostor syndrome. I always feel like I deserve it, because I did work really hard.”
    • “I will definitely be a tiger mom,” she says. “It’s not a blanketly bad thing to push. Sometimes it just means you really believe in your child.”
  • Value: 
    • When I posted my presentation, I feel like a lot of people were struggling with my counter-argument which was that the value of tiger parenting cannot be fully assessed by being limited to Zaloom's idea that independence is solely financial. I wanted to also adjust my case studies because I know that I have a lot of cases about tiger parenting being an overall negative experience. I can use parts of this article to support the idea that tiger parenting can affect bonds between families and be positive because of the incremental view of intelligence, Lulu actually learns how to be more confident because of all of her practice. She doesn't really seem to be haunted with doubt like other tiger cubs that I read about. I have to think a little bit more about this article and how it fits into my framework. 

Review 3: Beyond the tiger mom: Asian American parenting and parent-child relationships 
  • Visual: This graphic is from the article and explains what factors are related to social competence 
  • Citation: Shin, Minkyeong, and Y. Joel Wong. "Beyond the tiger mom: Asian American parenting and parent-child relationships." P., Barberis, S. Petrakis,(Eds.), Parenting: Challenges, practices and cultural influences (2013): 103-122.
  • Summary: This article draws attention to Amy Chua's memoir and covers the consequences of Asian American parenting with the cultural influences and implications that come with it. The authors also talk a lot about the challenges for Asian parents to relate to their Americanized child and the cultural gaps.
  • Author: Minkyeong Shin and Y. Joel Wong 
  • Key Terms: 
    • Authoritarian parenting high parental control, low warmth 
    • Authoritative parenting: parent is consistently warm and responsive to the child
      • Sets expectations
      • Provides appropriate discipline according to the child's developmental stage  
    • Permissive parenting: low control, high warmth 
    • Disengaged parenting: low in both 
  • Three Quotes: 
    • "Several studies on Asian American families have also found that children and adolescents reported less emotional support from and less emotional bond with their parents, as the acculturation cap with their parents increased" (109). 
    • "...studies have found that the values enculturation...between Korean American college students and their parents was positively associated with family conflict, particularly in family expectations, education and career issues, and dating and marriage" (109). 
    • "Research findings also suggest that greater Asian American parent-child acculturation gaps were correlated with increased depression and psychological distress" (110).
  • Value: 
    • I think this article is really valuable to my paper because I learned a little bit more about the different parenting styles and it also expanded on the cultural gap between Asian American kids and their parents as increased cultural gaps means that a child is more likely to have more conflict with their parents and experience depression and psychological distress than those with authoritative parents. 

Review 4: Parenting Practices: The Good, The Bad, and What to do About it 
  • Visual: Author Cliff McKinney 
  • Citation: McClelland, Emily et al. "Parenting Practices: The Good, The Bad, and What to do About it." P., Barberis, S. Petrakis,(Eds.), Parenting: Challenges, practices and cultural influences (2013): 103-122.
  • Summary: The article summarizes the positive and negative parents of different parenting styles. They talk about how lack of warmth, harsh discipline strategies, and extreme parental control can lead to a lack of self-regulation in the child, and mental health problems. 
  • Author: Emily McClelland, Jessie Billups, Shea Golding, and Cliff McKinney 
  • Key Terms: 
    • Non-punitive Discipline: used to discipline the child without verbal abuse or physical abuse
    • Authoritarian parents: parents who focus on control with their children and want obedience from them 
    • Control and Rejection: parenting practices used by parents with negative parenting styles, lead to lack of adjustment in the child 
  • Three Quotes: 
    • "Harsh discipline strategies or inconsistent discipline may result in a home environment that the child perceives as hostile, which may lead to symptoms of internalizing disorders in children, such as anxiety and depression" (169).
    • "Excessive parental control may lead to decreased levels of self-esteem and social adaptability and increased rates of depression, anxiety, and behavioral problems" (168-169). 
    • "...higher levels of perceived parental support are correlated with a more autonomous style of self-regulation in children" (167). 
  • Value: This article is really valuable for me because it gives me really good evidence to quote within my research paper. I really like how I could tie tiger parenting or the authoritarian parenting style to mental health problems and less self-regulation which can tie in nicely to my concept of self-determination theory and motivation. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literature Review 1

#1 Ideas for My Final Paper