#8: My Case

I have a lot of different examples to choose from when writing my paper. The one that I thought was most useful to me was Diana Tsui's article from The Cut because it talks about her whole experience as a tiger cub from her childhood all the way to her life after graduation. 


Summary: Diana Tsui grows up training to get into college and with what little resources her family has, they use it to get her into top high schools and later university. Tsui reflects on excelling and practicing over and over again in all fields--her academics and hobbies in hopes of having a better life than her immigrant parents. She gets into Cornell, but struggles to maintain her GPA and turns to some substance use to push her through college. Even after, as she's applying for medical school, she realizes it isn't something that she wants to pursue and her parents cut her off financially for bringing shame to her family. Then, she later on in life explains how she knows tiger parenting taught her the power of hard work but it also hurt her mental health, leadership skills, and gives her feelings of self doubt. 

I think it speaks to the debate in my proposal because it covers the experience that a lot of Asian Americans face.  It fits perfectly into my theoretical frame which I talked about last week in my last blog post. With self-determination theory, you need to feel as though your actions are your own to feel motivated. However, Diana struggles with this in her story. In addition, Diana is shunned by her parents after she goes against their wishes, showing that she lacks a sense of community and belonging that is essential for self-determination. Finally, she needs to feel competent but she explains that after she changed her career path she often feels like what she is doing is not correct simply because of how her tiger parents raised her. Therefore, this case is a really great one for my paper. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#1 Ideas for My Final Paper

Literature Review 1