Extra Credit Assignment

First Generation ReviewThis week, I watched a documentary on YouTube called First Generation which is an award earning documentary by Blair Underwood. First Generation is about four different high school students from different backgrounds who tried to break out of the cycle of poverty and help their families and their communities by getting a college education. I think that this documentary is relevant to my paper on Tiger Parenting to a certain extent because the struggles of being a First Generation college student can sometimes be shared with Asian American students. The documentary follows an inner city athlete, waitress, a daughter of field works, and warrior dancer. One of the most important stories in the video to me was when I watching one student going to school and he find out that he is on honor roll. When asked about college applications, he said that he didn't apply to anything so far but is planning on getting in college applications this weekend. However, he doesn't even know when the applications are due so he might have missed on on filling some out. It's clear that students who are first generation might begetting a good education, but they do not have the 24/7 parenting and education that they need. This really reminds me of the story about Taylor and Emma where one simply didn't get the parenting and 24/7 education despite coming from similar backgrounds. I feel really lucky knowing that I went to a high and middle school that was very focuses on getting into college. By growing up in a community like that and having parents who emphasize higher education, I knew it would be impossible for me to know that college applications are out and be comfortable with not knowing when they are due. I think that the student I saw in the documentary was clearly intelligent, but according the expert he simply has the disadvantage of not having parents who are emphasizing education 24/7.x
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#1 Ideas for My Final Paper

Literature Review 1